Thursday, March 1, 2007

Un-Knitting


Or "frogging," as the knitting blogs seem to call it, was the order of the day for me yesterday. Having blasted through two fifths of the Koigu sweater I talked about in an earlier post I found that the pattern I was using had a major error in the cabling instructions—and, as a result, I had major problems in my sweater's cables. At first, naturally, I decided just to keep on knitting and live with the errors. Then...I don't know. It just ate at me. The yarn is expensive, and since I'm knitting on huge needles it's a pretty fast knit, and I thought, well, what the heck. It's only knitting. So I unravelled the whole thing and started over. It actually felt pretty liberating, and took some of the mystery out of knitting. At its core a sweater is only a more or less intricatley looped long, continuous coil of yarn: having coiled it up once, I can do it again. The sweater is only a physical trace of a mental impulse. I do not serve the sweater! My life is not measured by the speed of its completion! Problem solved.

Also, it's not in fact a Koigu sweater, it's a Noro sweater. I confused my yarn names. You can see a little swatch of it above.

No comments: