Saturday, June 18, 2011

Spirituous Liquors

I don't imbibe much, but when mojitos are in the offing I'm always on board. We have a beautiful pot of mint in the backyard, and this is the best use I know of for it.
Today was a mighty day of cooking: potato salad (red potatoes, eggs, red onion, tarragon, olive oil, lemon juice), tabouli (bulgur, tomato, parsley, red onion), chicken set to marinate (olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, tarragon, garlic) and dinner: okra, tomato salad, corn on the cob, and tabouli.
I learned the most important thing I know about tabouli a year ago. Hitherto I'd been making it by letting the bulgur soak in boiling water until fluffy and hydrated, then adding the other stuff. Terrible idea! As a result of reading somewhere that the traditional method is to let the bulgur soak up tomato juice, I converted: I put a few tomatoes in the blender, then let the bulgur sit in the resultant sludge for a few hours. Perfection. Flavorful and perfectly textured. I also learned that a food processor is the right tool for the job when it comes to dicing parsley and onion fine enough to complement the bulgur.

No comments: