Friday, November 27, 2009

Gingerbread

In fact a fair bit of cooking has taken place here recently, but nothing particularly worth blogging (except, maybe, the chocolate-chip and dried cherry cookies, the banana bread, and the pumpkin cake; they were pretty good). Today I made gingerbread, something I always forget I really, really like. This batch turned out extra good, despite some unpromising turns during the baking. My "recipe" is based on the recipe for "Damp Gingerbread" you'll find in More Home Cooking, Laurie Colwin's second volume of food essays. Here's what I used:

1 jar Lyle's Golden Syrup, melted together with 1/2 C coconut oil
1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C coconut flour
1 T ground ginger
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t cloves
1 3/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 egg
1 C milk (warmed on the stove, with 1 T vinegar whisked in for ersatz buttermilk)

I mixed it all up and baked at 350 for 55 minutes. It's highly spicy and good; I expect it to be better in days to come as the spices bloom.

No comments: