Sunday, April 3, 2011

Buckwheat Rye

This is an example of a bread that looked really unpromising at every stage and has turned out to be one of the most delicious I've ever made. In shape it is much more like a pancake than a loaf, but it is chewy and crusty and has a deep, complex, slightly smoky flavor. The flour is 350g white (including the starter), 200g buckwheat (all of which fermented overnight) and 50g rye. I added commercial yeast in the morning when I mixed the final dough because I wanted to bake early. I also added way too much water, which probably accounts for the massive spread, but in my opinion if you don't care too much about shape too much water is not a problem. Too little and you get a tight dough that is (to me) repellent to work with; too much and you end up with a nice chewy interior.

No comments: