Sunday, January 24, 2010

Yellow-Eyed Pea Soup

A while back I posted about Rancho Gordo beans; the NYT magazine told me to buy beans from them, so I did. They are very good, and the Rancho Gordo marketing material is super cute, so I've kept buying them. (Incidentally, this means I have found a way to turn beans, the ultimate cheap staple food, into an expensive status symbol. I am a living entry in the "Stuff White People Like" blog, which you should read, if you haven't alredy.) Anyhoo, this is what I used:

1 lb. Yellow-Eyed Peas (super-silky when cooked)
One sweet onion, a bunch of carrots and celery, diced
One piece of the shoulder bone from our Christmas country ham, with rind attached

I cooked all of this for several hours. The beans were over-cooked, though still delicious. I strained the liquid from the finished soup, then pureed a cup of the beans with some liquid and added them back to the whole beans. The I thinned the whole thing with a few more ladels-full of liquid. It is extremely good; I had a bowl of it over brown rice for dinner.

No comments: