Saturday, June 27, 2009

Blueberry Johnnie Cakes

This is my new favorite breakfast. I wish the photo showed the warm, appetizing yellow they actually were. I was inspired by a recent meal I had at a wonderful restaurant called Hot & Hot Fish Club. Everything was delectable, but dessert was the best: johnnie cakes with honey and homemade yogurt. I ordered it without knowing what johnnie cakes were; they appeared to be skillet-fried cornbread, and were outrageously good. So this morning I gave it a whirl myself, using the following recipe (freely adapted from Frank Stitt):

2C white cornmeal
1/2C quinoa flour
1t baking powder
1t baking soda
1t salt
1T sugar
1 1/2C milk
1T greek yogurt (full fat)
2 eggs
5T melted unsalted butter
2C fresh blueberries

I mixed it all up and cooked as for pancakes, then made a total pig of myself. Spouse had syrup, I had nada, delicious both ways.

No comments: