Friday, March 14, 2008

Pooling

See how the colors in the skein of yarn gather into long, downward-sloping bands of dark and light color? And how the same yarn, knit into a sock, assumes neat, narrow horizontal bands of color? What the yarn in the skein is doing is called "pooling;" avoiding that in the sock is a matter of achieving proper gauge, or number of stitches per inch. This is the first project on which I really understood that, and actively got it under control. Like most knitters I hate pooling (chiefly because the color pattern it creates looks ugly to me, and also totally obscures any stitch patterning you might be doing) but never knew what to do about it. Now I do. Problem solved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the MP3 e MP4, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.