Sunday, July 29, 2007

Thai Chicken Sausage

with roasted red potatoes (oh crispy salty outsides! oh creamy sweet insides!) and fried okra. A word about the latter: it was outrageously good. My spouse makes it, as simply as possible: lots of fresh, cut-up okra, fried in olive oil until browned and crispy. I ate like a horse, all but stealing it from his plate. I did not come to okra with this enthusiasm; when I got married and in so doing agreed to become Southern by association I was prepared to make certain accomodations, but thought I drew the line at okra. Slimy, weird, and seedy, its charm eluded me. But in a rare moment I decided that what my husband loved I ought least to try, so I made an effort okra-wise. Like all movements of spiritual generosity, this one benefited me far more than the person I was trying to please--I now defend my husband's okra against all comers, though I don't go so far as to actually share any of mine.

1 comment:

Joel Brouwer said...

Ah, it's so good to see you back at table. I too have come to love okra, though through a different gate: Madhur Jaffrey's recipe for Sookhi Bhindi (dry okra). It goes a little bit like this. Be advised you may need to open a window; this gets smoky.

1 lb fresh okra
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
6-7 oz. onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Wipe the okra pods dry with a damp paper towel. Cut off the top and tip of the pods, and then cut the pods crosswise into 1/2 inch segments. Put the oil into a large non-stick frying pan and set on medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, toss in the cumin seeds and let sizzle for 10 seconds. Add the okra and onions, spreading out evenly. Fry, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. The onions should begin to brown by this point. Turn the heat to medium and continue to stir gently and fry for another 5 minutes. Add salt, ground cumin, coriander, lemon juice and cayenne. Cook, stirring gently, for another 5 minutes, and serve.