Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Catch-Up

I know, no one's reading this any more. But for my own satisfaction I'll note that I recently roasted a chicken (with tarragon, no less!) for Father's Day. I followed the directions in Nigel Slater's Appetite. I do love Slater, who in addition to cooking delicious things photographs his own books (most appetizingly) and writes in a brisk, sensible, encouraging tone that makes everything seem do-able.

I have also been re-reading Barbara Pym's entire canon, as I do pretty much every year. If you haven't encountered her slim, witty, brilliantly observed novels of English village life pre and post-WWII, you are missing a huge treat. She is absolutley the best.

Still too nauseated to knit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather, Pym is the *sole* author on my bedside rotation. I read and re-read her oeuvre, over and over again. Started 12 years ago. Nice to see you yesterday, and so glad you're up and about again. We'll get together soon again I hope. xx Kate

avb said...

Hey, now! I'm still reading! And, I've been thinking of you recently because I've been reading Middlemarch. Now, I suppose I'll be reading Pym!

I hope you begin to feel better soon...

xoxox Alane

SCM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SCM said...

H,

So glad to see you back at the blog. It is still the first thing I check in the mornings. Picked Cold Comfort Farm back up the other day. It somehow fell out of rotation, likely misplaced in a bag hidden somewhere for a few weeks. Also reading an oft admired title from your bookshelves, The Man Who Ate Everything. How was the Hornby? Hope you get to feeling better soon.